Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Who Watches the Watchmen? Me apperently.



Over the weekend I had my first taste of the Watchmen franchise. Not knowing anything about it, I thought the director did an excellent job. From the comic pages I've seen, it appears that they were very faithful to the story (san the change to the ending of course). I also liked the obvious problems that each character had as a result of their "powers"... I relaize that only Dr. Manhatten was the only obvious superpowered being, but each had transended basic human limitations... giving each character a few levels of Mega-Attributes (as per the Aberrant game).


Dr. Manhatten is an excellent inspiration for any Terrigan character, as he moves beyond humanity, even though he cares for them in a sense, he clearly knows to be above them as a god... his aberrations are many and obvious... it's little wonder he goes off the planet to create new life... which parralels Divis Mal in Aberrant... who will later leave earth as well to go create his own universe.
Silk Spectre and Nite Owl are realitivly "normal"with a few minor mental quirks, but have weathered crime fighting really well.
Ozy has my favorite line in the whole movie, "Do you think I'm some comic book villain? That I would tell you my master stroke if there was a remote chance you could stop me? I triggered it 35 minutes ago." Defenatly a Megalomanic who's good at it. His power had a higher price.
Rorshach also a defantly potent human with several mental issues... the price for justice often can lead to madness when you see the worst in humanity all the time.
Overall, I recomend the film to comic fans... it was well put together and kept me guessing to the end... and the "villians" plan was quite brilliant. The violence and sex were done just well enough in contrast with some off color music that clashed with the scene to a point (but we're well chosen). It reminded me of the idea I heard from a friend in High School who would start a movie with the "Cola Wars" between Pepsi and Coke, with one side raiding the other and shooting gangster style with "Everything is Beautiful" as the backgroud music.
As a secondary opinion, it's nice to see the taboo of male nudity being challenged in this film... I found it far less distracting after the first time it happened then other films that use every trick in the book to cover up bits and peices... Beowulf comes to mind in that example... Fighting grendel was an awsome fight, but the convenetly placed table or arm or cup or whatever just got to be distracting. It worked for Austin Powers, because it was a comedy... but for Beowulf it just got to be too much. With any luck directors will take their R rated films or NR films and not try to work around bits and peices like they have in the past and just move on to make awsome films.

No comments:

Post a Comment